VNU University of Science, an integral part of Vietnam National University, Hanoi, ranks among a few universities in Vietnam with long-standing tradition. VNU University of Science is leading university of Vietnam in Science. Throughout its glorious history, the University has undergone a number of significant turning points, and has been acknowledged with different reputed names:
1906: Indochina University
1951: University of Basic Science
1956: Hanoi University
1995: Hanoi University of Science, VNU
To present: VNU University of Science
VNU University of Science is dedicated to conducting research in basic science and applied. The University is committed to initiating, propagating and promoting science knowledge; providing the society with a constant supply of high-qualified intellectual workers as well as high-quality scientific and technological products; actively contributing to the basic science development of the country.
VNU HUS aspires to rank among Asian top 100 Universities by the year 2020 in advanced science research, and then among the World’s top 500 Universities by the year 2030 in certain fields.
Co-operation and friendliness
Excellence through is knowledge, innovation and social responsibility
VNU University of Science offers 34 undergraduate training programs, 46 master programs and 55 PhD programs.
Undergraduate programs (4 years):
- Advanced and International Standard Programs (offered in English):
+ Advanced Program in Chemistry
+ Advanced Program in Environmental Science
+ International Standard Program in Physics
+ International Standard Program in Biology
+ International Standard Program in Geology
- Talented Programs:
+ Talented Program in Mathematics
+ Talented Program in Physics
+ Talented Program in Chemistry
+ Talented Program in Biology
- Honor Programs:
+ Honor Program in Physical Geography
+ Honor Program in Geology
+ Honor Program in Environmental Science
+ Honor Program in Hydrology
+ Honor Program in Meteorology
+ Honor Program in Oceanography
- Standard Programs: Computer and Information Science, Mathematics, Mechanics – Mathematic, Materials Science, Nuclear Technology, Physics, Chemical Engineering and Technology, Chemistry, Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Land Management, Physical Geography, Geological Engineering, Geology, Management of Resources and Environment, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science, Soil Sciences, Hydrology, Marine Engineering, Meteorology, Oceanography
Graduate programs: Master (2 years) & PhD Programs (3 years)
- Faculty of Mathematics, Mechanics and Informatics: Algebra and Number Theory*, Applied Mathematics*, Elementary Mathematics Methods, Differential and Integral Equations, Geometry and Topology*, Mathematical Analysis*, Mathematical Foundations of Computer Science*, Theory of Probability and Mathematical Statistics, Mechanics of Fluids*, Mechanics of Solids*.
- Faculty of Physics: Nuclear Physics*, Optics*, Physics of the Earth*, Radio Physics and Electronics Engineering*, Solid State Physics*, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics*, Thermal Physics*.
- Faculty of Chemistry: Analytical Chemistry*, Environmental Chemistry*, Inorganic Chemistry*, Organic Chemistry*, Petrochemitry*, Theoretical and Physical Chemistry*, Chemical Engineering, Medicinal Chemistry (offered in English).
- Faculty of Biology: Botany*, Biochemistry, Biological Anthropology, Ecology*, Embryology - Histology and Cytology, Entomology, Experimental Biology, Genetics*, Human and Animal Physiology, Hydrobiology*, Microbiology*, Plant Physiology, Zoology*.
- Faculty of Geography: Cartography*, Remote sensing and GIS, Geography*, Geomorphology and Paleogeography*, Management of Resources and Environment*, Physical Geography*, Land Administration.
- Faculty of Geology: Environmental Geology, Geology*, Mineralogy and Geochemistry*.
- Faculty of Environmental Science: Environmental Engineering, Environment and Sustainable Development, Environmental Science*, Soil Science*, Soil and Water Environment*.
- Faculty of Hydro-Meteorology and Oceanography: Hydrology*, Meteorology and Climatology*, Oceanography.
(* shows both Master and PhD Programs.)
High school for gifted students
HUS High School for Gifted Students (HSGS) cover 5 subjects: Mathematics, Informatics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. It’s established since 1965, is the first high school, where foster and train talented pupils at high school level. Gifted high school students have achieved many high award in the national and international Olympiads. Many excellent scientists and good managers were trained in this school (such as Professor Ngo Bao Chau, Dam Thanh Son,…)
Established in 1965 as the first school for gifted students in Vietnam, HUS High School for Gifted Students offers courses for students brilliant in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Informatics. The School has always been ranked the number one school enriched with nationwide and worldwide-recognized achievements and accomplishments by our outstanding students at national and international Olympiads. Many a great scientist and competent managers used to attend our school.
Joint Degree and Cooperative programs
Training programs in English:
- Honor Program for Talented Students: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Advanced Program: Mathematics, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Nuclear Technology.
- International Standard Program: Physics, Biology, and Geology.
- Master & PhD Programs with Technological University of Dresden, Germany;
- PhD Program with Greifswald University, Germany;
- Master & PhD Programs with Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology, Korea;
- Master and PhD Programs with Japan Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (JAIST), Japan;
- Master Programs with Nam Toulon Var University, France.
- Master Programs with University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), Netherland.
- Master Program with Bouxdeau 1 University, France.
Faculties & Schools
- Faculty of Mathematics - Mechanics and Informatics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Geology
- Faculty of Hydro-Meteorology and Oceanography
- Faculty of Environmental Science
- High school for gifted students
- National key Laboratory of Enzyme – Protein technology
- Center for Environmental Technology & Sustainable Development
- Center for High-Performance Computing
- Center for Environmental Monitoring and Modeling
- Center of Research for Environmental Fluid Dynamics
- Center for Sea and Island
- Nano and Energy center
- Center for Analytical Sciences Development and Application
Research & Application
VNU University of Science is the leading university in natural sciences in Vietnam. Research has always been a cornerstone of the University. The academic community at VNU University of Science continues to carry out productive research by focusing on the problems and challenges that affect society and people. The University is committed to investing in human resources and infrastructure, and setting a good environment for scientific and technological research.
In the light of research-based training, young researchers have been supported in focus, as well as postgraduate training and scientific research activities among students.
We maximize the University’s impact by:
- Identifying research priorities
- Focusing investment in research excellence
- Expending national and international collaboration
- Developing and establishing strong research groups at international level
- Increasing the number of scientific papers in reputable international journals.
VNU University of Science’s research priority areas:
- Mathematics and Theoretical Physics
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Nuclear Energy and Renewable Energy
- New Materials
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Climate Changes, Management and Sustainable Use of Natural Resources
- Life Science and Biotechnology
- Marine Science and Technology
VNU University of Science has established cooperative ties with a great number of universities, research institutes and organizations from other countries, such as the USA, Japan, France, Germany, Korea, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Belgium, Belarus, The Netherlands, Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Sweden, Ukraine, Canada, India, China, Taiwan, etc.
Cooperative programs focus mostly on training and research activities. These cooperative programs have actively contributed to the realization of high quality training and research - a very important task of the University. Cooperation is undertaken in various forms such as staff and student exchange programs, joint training and joint research projects. Many faculty members and students have been sent overseas, and foreign counterparts have assisted the University in developing bilateral research programs.
Annually, a large number of scholarships are given to students of the University, which positively encourages the students to work harder at their studies and research.
VNU UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE
International Relations - Administration Office
334 Nguyễn Trãi Street, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84.4) 38581419 - 35587677
Fax: (84.4) 38583061