VNU University of Science, an integral part of Vietnam National University, Hanoi, ranks among a few universities in Vietnam with long-standing tradition. VNU University of Science is leading university of Vietnam in Science. Throughout its glorious history, the University has undergone a number of significant turning points, and has been acknowledged with different reputed names:
1906: Indochina University
1951: University of Basic Science
1956: Hanoi University
1995: Hanoi University of Science, VNU
To present: VNU University of Science
VNU University of Science is dedicated to conducting research in basic science and applied. The University is committed to initiating, propagating and promoting science knowledge; providing the society with a constant supply of high-qualified intellectual workers as well as high-quality scientific and technological products; actively contributing to the basic science development of the country.
VNU HUS aspires to rank among Asian top 100 Universities by the year 2020 in advanced science research, and then among the World’s top 500 Universities by the year 2030 in certain fields.
Co-operation and friendliness
Excellence through is knowledge, innovation and social responsibility
Hanoi University of Science, VNU teach 23 undergraduate areas of concentration. At the graduation level, they teach more than 100 programs of study.
VNU University of Science offers 23 undergraduate training programs and 100 graduation study courses.
Undergraduate programs (4 years):
Mathematics, Mechanics, Applied Mathematics & Informatics, Computer & Information Science, Physics, Materials Science, Nuclear Technology, Chemistry, Chemical Technology, Pharmaceutial Chemistry, Biology, Bio-Technology, Pharmacology, Biomedical, Geology, Land Administration, Geotechnics and Geo-Environment, Geography, Natural Resources Management, Meteorology, Hydrology, Oceanography, Marine Technology, Environmental Science, Soil Science, Environmental Technology.
Graduate programs: Master (2 years) & PhD Programs (3 years)
Mathematical Analysis*, Differential and Integral Equation*, Algebra and Number Theory*, Geometry and Topology*, Probability and Statistics*, Optimal Theory, Computational Mathematics*, Mathematical Assurances for Computers and Computing Systems (Mathematical Foundation for Informatics)*, Elementary Mathematics Methods, Mechanics of Solids*, Mechanics of Fluids*, Theoretical and Mathematical Physics*, Radio-Electronic Physics*, Atomic-Nuclear Physics and Nuclear Energy*, Solid State Physics*, Optics*,Sub-astral Physics*, Material Science*, Electromagnetic Material, Inorganic Chemistry*, Organic Chemistry*, Analytical Chemistry*, Physical Chemistry and Theoretical Chemistry*, Chemical Technology, Environmental Chemistry, Ethnic Anthropology*, Zoology*, Entomology*, Botany*, Experimental Biology, Animal and Human Physiology, Plant Physiology, Biophysics, Biochemistry, Embryo-Histology and Cytology, Microbiology*, Hydrobiology*, Ichthyology, Ecology*, Genetics*, Geography, Geomorphology and Palaeogeography*, Land Administration, Use and Conservation of Environmental Resources*, Physical Geography*, Environmental Geography*, Cartography-Remote Sensing-GIS*, Geology, Geotectonics, Paleontology and Stratigraphy, Petrography-Mineralogy-Geochemistry, Petrography, Mineralogy, Geochemistry, Economic Geology and Mineral Exploration*, Geophysics*, Oceanography*, Marine Hydro-litho Dynamics, Marine Chemistry, Meteorology and Climatology, Meteorology, Climatology, Environmental Science, Environmental Technology, Environmental Management, Soil Science, Soil and Vegetable Nutrition.
(* shows both Master and PhD Programs.)
High school for gifted students
HUS High School for Gifted Students (HSGS) cover 5 subjects: Mathematics, Informatics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. It’s established since 1965, is the first high school, where foster and train talented pupils at high school level. Gifted high school students have achieved many high award in the national and international Olympiads. Many excellent scientists and good managers were trained in this school (such as Professor Ngo Bao Chau, Dam Thanh Son,…)
Established in 1965 as the first school for gifted students in Vietnam, HUS High School for Gifted Students offers courses for students brilliant in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Informatics. The School has always been ranked the number one school enriched with nationwide and worldwide-recognized achievements and accomplishments by our outstanding students at national and international Olympiads. Many a great scientist and competent managers used to attend our school.
Joint Degree and Cooperative programs
Training programs in English:
- Honor Program for Talented Students: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Advanced Program: Mathematics, Chemistry, Environmental Science and Nuclear Technology.
- International Standard Program: Physics, Biology, and Geology.
- Master & PhD Programs with Technological University of Dresden, Germany;
- PhD Program with Greifswald University, Germany;
- Master & PhD Programs with Gwangju Institute of Science & Technology, Korea;
- Master and PhD Programs with Japan Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (JAIST), Japan;
- Master Programs with Nam Toulon Var University, France.
- Master Programs with University of Twente, Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC), Netherland.
- Master Program with Bouxdeau 1 University, France.
Academic Departments, Divisions
- Faculty of Mathematics - Mechanics and Informatics
- Faculty of Physics
- Faculty of Chemistry
- Faculty of Biology
- Faculty of Geography
- Faculty of Geology
- Faculty of Hydro-Meteorology and Oceanography
- Faculty of Environmental Science
- Center for Environmental Technology & Sustainable Development
- Center for Environmental Monitoring and Modeling
- Center for High-Performance Computing
- Center for Marine Dynamics & Environmental Research
- Center for Materials Science
- Center for Life Science Research
- Center for Remote Sensing and GIS
- Center of Petro-Chemistry
- Center for Biodiversity & Sustainable Development
- Center for Molecular Biology & Cell Technology
- Center for Computational Science in Chemistry
- Rector: Prof. Nguyễn Văn Nội
- Vice-Rector: Prof. Phan Tuấn Nghĩa
- Vice-Rector: Prof. Vũ Hoàng Linh
- Vice-Rector: Asso.Prof. Nguyễn Tiền Giang
Of which, the faculty is:
Teachers at High School for Gifted Students:
Doctors of Science:
Master and PhD students:
Students in Gifted High School:
Research & Application
VNU University of Science is the leading university in natural sciences in Vietnam. Research has always been a cornerstone of the University. The academic community at VNU University of Science continues to carry out productive research by focusing on the problems and challenges that affect society and people. The University is committed to investing in human resources and infrastructure, and setting a good environment for scientific and technological research.
In the light of research-based training, young researchers have been supported in focus, as well as postgraduate training and scientific research activities among students.
We maximize the University’s impact by:
- Identifying research priorities
- Focusing investment in research excellence
- Expending national and international collaboration
- Developing and establishing strong research groups at international level
- Increasing the number of scientific papers in reputable international journals.
VNU University of Science’s research priority areas:
- Mathematics and Theoretical Physics
- Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
- Nuclear Energy and Renewable Energy
- New Materials
- Environmental Science and Technology
- Climate Changes, Management and Sustainable Use of Natural Resources
- Life Science and Biotechnology
- Marine Science and Technology
VNU University of Science has established cooperative ties with a great number of universities, research institutes and organizations from other countries, such as the USA, Japan, France, Germany, Korea, Australia, Singapore, Thailand, Belgium, Belarus, The Netherlands, Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Italy, Switzerland, Sweden, Ukraine, Canada, India, China, Taiwan, etc.
Cooperative programs focus mostly on training and research activities. These cooperative programs have actively contributed to the realization of high quality training and research - a very important task of the University. Cooperation is undertaken in various forms such as staff and student exchange programs, joint training and joint research projects. Many faculty members and students have been sent overseas, and foreign counterparts have assisted the University in developing bilateral research programs.
Annually, a large number of scholarships are given to students of the University, which positively encourages the students to work harder at their studies and research.
VNU UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE
International Relations - Administration Office
334 Nguyễn Trãi Street, Hanoi, Vietnam
Tel: (84.4) 38581419 - 35587677
Fax: (84.4) 38583061