VNU Central Institute for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies (CRES) was established in 1995 on the basis of reorganizing the Centre for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies (1985) under the former University of Hanoi and the Mangrove Ecosystem Research Centre (1987) of Hanoi University of Education.
On November 17, 2016, the Prime Minister has recently signed Decision No. 2218/QD-TTg on the establishment of VNU Central Institute for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies, a separate legal entity formerly known as VNU Center for Natural Resources and Environment Studies.
To conduct multi- and inter-disciplinary research on biodiversity and environmental issues for decision making and sustainable development;
To promote human resources development through formal education, training courses, workshops and seminars for professionals, administrative managers, decision makers and the public;
To provide advice, support and services in related areas;
To promote networking, partnership and linkages through enhanced cooperation among VNU’s related institutions as well as with other national and international institutions and communities.
Master and PhD. Programs:
Environment and Sustainable Development
· Ten-month courses on environmental management and impact assessment;
· Six-month courses on environmental studies focusing in ecological approaches to conservation, resource utilization, and land management;
· Three-month courses on human dimensions of upland resources management; and
· Short-term courses for local communities and authorities.
Divisions and laboratories
· Agro-ecosystems and Sustainable Rural Development
· Biodiversity and Ecosystem Research and Conservation
· Environmental Education, Eco-tourism Training
· Environmental Planning and Management
· Global Change
· Mangrove Ecosystem Research
· Wetland Restoration and Conservation
· Laboratory of GIS and Environmental Analysis
Research and application
The Institute focuses its research on biodiversity conservation, environmental protection, sustainable development and related issues. At present, the Institute is carrying out the following research projects:
· Environmental protection and natural disaster prevention;
· Socio-economic and environmental issues in the eco-regions;
· Application of human-ecology principles to agro-ecosystem research and ecologically sustainable rural development;
· Mangrove ecology, conservation and reforestation techniques, and sustainable development of coastal zone;
· Community-based biodiversity conservation and sustainable utilization of natural resources;
· Application of ecosystem approaches to natural resources conservation, management and sustainable development;
· Biodiversity action plan at provincial levels;
· Strengthening management and conservation of protected areas;
· Wetland conservation and restoration;
· Advancing conservation in a social context: Working in a World of Trade-offs.
VNU Central Institute for Natural Resources and Environmental Studies is a member of the World Conservation Union (IUCN) and a Scientific Authority of CITES Vietnam. It is affiliated with about 80 research and development agencies, some of which are: Ford Foundation, Actions for Mangrove Reforestation, World Resources Institute (USA), World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF), MacArthur Foundation, DANIDA, SIDA, International Development Research Centre (IDRC), SNV, WCS, National Environmental Foundation of Japan, Nagao Natural Environmental Foundation (NEF), other international organizations and institutions.
19 Lê Thánh Tông, Hanoi
Tel: (84.4) 3825 3506
Fax: (84.4) 3826 2932