The ranking method applied by Research.com (Collect published data and citations of scientists and rank scientists in the list of the world's top published and cited scientists in the ranked fields), is based on D-index (Discipline H-index) and the number of articles by field of scientists on the IEEE, ACL, Springer, AAAI, USENIX, Elsevier, ACM and LIPIcs database systems. In this ranking, Research.com analyzed the data of 166,880 scientists with the world's leading publication and citation productivity.
Research.com ranks 24 areas, namely: Animal Science and Veterinary; Biology and Biochemistry; Business and Management; Chemistry; Computer Science; Earth Science; Ecology and Evolution; Economics and Finance; Electronics and Electrical Engineering; Engineering and Technology; Environmental Sciences; Genetics and Molecular Biology; Immunology; Law and Political Science; Mathematics; Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering; Medicine; Microbiology and Neuroscience.
The ten Vietnamese scientists featured in the ranking specialize in the following six areas:
- Chemistry: Prof. Nguyen Van Tuan (Philippe Derreumaux), an Australian overseas Vietnamese, from Ton Duc Thang University;
- Engineering and Technology: Prof.Dr.Sc Nguyen Dinh Duc from VNU. In this field, there are 3 foreign scientists with Vietnamese addresses, two from Ton Duc Thang University and 1 from Duy Tan University;
- Environmental Science: Vietnam has 2 scientists, both from VNU, namely Prof.Dr. Pham Hung Viet and Assoc.Prof.Dr. Tu Binh Minh;
- Computer Science: Assoc.Prof.Dr. Le Hoang Son from VNU;
- Materials Science: Prof. Nguyen Van Hieu from Phenikaa University;
- Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering: Vietnam has four scientists: Prof. Nguyen Xuan Hung and Assoc.Prof Phung Van Phuc from Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology; Assoc.Prof. Nguyen Thoi Trung and Assoc.Prof. Thai Hoang Chien from Ton Duc Thang University.
There was a foreigner working for Ton Duc Thang University also named in the ranking;
- Medicine: Assoc.Prof. Tran Xuan Bach from Hanoi Medical University.
Interestingly, the recently ranked Vietnamese scientists are all currently leaders of strong research groups at universities, among which, VNU is the leading institution with scientists ranked worldwide in 3 fields: Engineering and Technology, Environmental Sciences, and Computer Science.