Official thesis title: Researching on the functions of Vietnam’s Principals in upper secondary schools in Doi Moi (Renovation) period for training service in order to meet social requirements.
1. Full name: Nguyen Thi Tuyet Hanh
2. Sex: Famale
3. Date of birth: 28 February, 1966
4. Place of birth: Ha Giang Province
5. Admission decision number: No.1990/SĐH dated on 22 November 2006 by President of Vietnam National University, Ha Noi.
6. Changes in academic process:
Adjusting thesis title pursuant to Decision No.142/QĐ-ĐT dated on 29 December 2008 by Director of Pedagogic Department (University of Education now) and Decision No.526/QĐ-ĐT dated on 27 October 2011 by Rector of University of Education
7. Official thesis title: Researching on the functions of Vietnam’s Principals in upper secondary schools in Doi Moi (Renovation) period for training service in order to meet social requirements.
8. Major: Education Management
9. Code: 62 14 05 01
10. Supervisor: Prof. Dr. Pham Thanh Nghi
11. Summary of the new findings of the thesis
(1) The thesis indicated the relations between the change of social requirements in schools and the change of principal’s functions in the context of socio-economic development. It analysed systematically and showed the functions of Vietnamese principals in the setting of Doi Moi such as leading function, managerial function, co-ordinating and community service function which are in relation with the demands on activities and competence.
(2) These research findings on the functions of Vietnamese upper secondary school’s principals will supplement scientific backgrounds for developing policies and providing principal training service in order to satisfy social requirements;
(3) In conformity with the orientation of developing upper secondary schools and principal staff with view to responding the substantial and comprehensive renewal of Vietnam education, the thesis also proposed measures of promoting upper secondary school’s principal training service. The development of these measures is based on Competence approach and CDIO model approach (Conceive - Design - Implement – Operate) which are modern and suitable with the requirement of developing human resources for educational administration in new context. The thesis also emphasized on these following issues: identifying training objectives in comply with outcome standards; renovating training program; integrating outcome standards on module content, implementing module-based-training program; diversifying training forms to meet learner’s needs (individual learning, group learning, continuing course or dividing into periods, providing material for self-study, distance training, e-learning); applying active teaching and learning methods in order to renovate learner’s thinking and promote creative actions in a changing world; improving training test, evaluation and quality assurance conditions; enhancing follow-up principal’s performance after training courses; finalizing the guidance of setting principal standards in training service.